School Transport Assistance Scheme (STAS)
Eligible students can apply for assistance with transport to get from home to school and back again.
Subsidised transport is available for students in areas where there is a limited student population, to enable students to attend education facilities.
There is also assistance that is distance based.
Assistance for Distance:
- Primary school students who live more than 3.2km from the nearest state primary school.
- Secondary school students who live more than 4.8km from the nearest state secondary school.
- Non – state school students who live more than the required distance from both the nearest state and non – state school of their type attended.
Assistance for Safety – Net:
- Primary school students who live less than 3.2km from nearest state primary school.
- Secondary school students who live less than 4.8km from the nearest state secondary school
Non- state school students must live the required distances or less from either the nearest state or non-state school of type attended
How to Apply
An application must be made within 7 days of the student starting to travel on the bus.
On approval, an EC Smart Bus Pass will be issued.
For your bus travel assistance application, download the form here:
If a student’s school journey exceeds that funded by Department of Transport & Main Roads, an excess fare is payable by the parents. This excess fare is to be paid to the bus operator.
If a student changes their school or their address, then a new application needs to be submitted.